Many individuals are starting to use a raw food diet, and there are a number of dietary choices that should be avoided in this situation. These include:
1. Processed Products- Foods that have been processed have had most of the nutrients and nutritional value removed. Added chemicals, stabilizers, and artificial flavors and colors may improve the look and the taste of these items but they can not replace the lost dietary value that is removed during processing. Pregnant women should avoid these completely if possible.
2. Soy Products- Soy and items made from this staple are very high in substances called phytoestrogens. Women going through menopause may benefit but few others will. Higher hormone level shave been blamed for earlier puberty in young females, which is commonly occurring between 8 and 12 years old now versus 15 or older in the past.
3. Grains That Have Been Refined- These include white rice, flour that is bleached, a majority of the breakfast cereals on the market, and other products that contain these ingredients. When grains are processed they lose fiber, which is one of the biggest health benefits that they offer. Choose unprocessed and whole grain choices instead.
4. Chocolate- Many love chocolate, but this treat may not be ideal if you are following a raw diet. This candy starts out with healthy ingredients, but once the manufacturing is done all that is left is a snack that is high in sugars and chemicals.
5. Fried Foods- Items that are fried or poached in large amounts of butter or oil should be avoided whenever possible. The high fat content of these foods contributes to obesity and poor health, and the higher temperatures will destroy some of the most beneficial nutrients offered.
6. Nuts And Seeds Prepared Using Certain Methods- Seeds and nuts can be some of the best choices for diet components, but if they are prepared the wrong way these benefits can be eliminated. Choose those in their natural state, and stay away from varieties that have been roasted, salted, or cooked in any way.
7. Added Sugars- Many scientists are starting to view sugar as a toxin in the body, and diets high in this ingredient are also at a higher risk for certain medical conditions and diseases. Yeast in the body thrive on sugar and too much of it can cause an imbalance, resulting in a yeast infection or other problem.
8. Any Fruits That Are Not Fresh- Fruits that are packed in syrup or have been processed are not good choices. Manufacturers add large amounts of sugars to sweeten the fruit, and may also cook the product for extensive times. This depletes the nutrients available.
9. Refined Salt Products- Most Americans use refined salt at the table, and most restaurants also carry this version. The refining process removes essential minerals that are normally found in natural salt deposits, leaving behind a product that has no dietary benefits or advantages. Those that have not been refined at all are a better option in this area.
10. Coffee And Tea- Herbal varieties or versions that do not contain caffeine can be used, but caffeinated choices should be eliminated. Instead pick herbal or grain based items that are more natural and better for you.