A late night snack can be a good way to eliminate any hunger pains. Your choice in this matter can be very important though, and there are some foods that should not be consumed during this period for various reasons. They include:
1. Ice Cream- Ice cream is full of fats and sugars, both of which can make nodding off harder to do. Instead of resting your digestive tract must work harder to digest this pick and you could end up getting little shuteye as a result. In addition this can cause you to feel slow and sluggish the next morning.
2. Fast Food Products- While it is true that many of these restaurants are starting to offer healthy menu choices most of the fare offered is greasy, high in fat and cholesterol, and is heavy in your stomach. This can cause you to toss and turn or even suffer from heartburn or indigestion during your slumber.
3. Cake- Cake is a favorite late night option but it can be one of the worst choices you can make. This food is loaded with sugars and carbs, both of which give you energy. This is not what you need at 3 am and will interrupt the natural cycle. This usually means a restless night and a disrupted rest.
4. Cookies- Cookies are a poor pick for the same reasons that cake should be avoided whenever possible. The excessive calories when combined with the carbs can contribute to weight gain when consumed later in the day.
5. Crackers- Many people believe that crackers are a healthier and lower calorie option, but they are still not a good bedtime snack for several reasons. These are usually full of carbohydrates which will keep you awake and energetic during the night. They are also a heavy food that can interfere with normal digestion while you rest.
6. High Protein Choices- Protein requires more effort to break down and digest. Eating items that have a lot of this nutrient will make it harder for you to doze off or stay this way because your stomach must work very hard to break down the contents. This can interfere with your normal rhythm and cause you to lay awake when you would prefer to be in dream land.
7. Spicy Offerings- Anything spicy is a no no right before bed. Spices contribute to heartburn and acid reflux, both of which can be worse when you are laying down. These options can include peppered menu items, ethnic cuisines that utilize numerous spices and herbs, and any other dietary pick that has peppers or other aggressive spices.
8. Pizza- Pizza can be the worst idea for a snack when it is later in the evening. This product is normally very greasy from the meats topping the pie, it is full of cheese and other protein sources, and the tomato based sauce can contribute to digestive difficulties and upset. Carbohydrates are another area of concern with pizza.
9. Fondue- Fondue is made from cheese, which is very high in protein. This snack can interrupt your sleep habits and interfere with a good rest, so it should only be eaten early in the day to prevent any issues.
10. Chinese Takeout- Some Chinese menu picks can be very healthy, but a majority of the restaurants in this category use MSG to improve the taste and appeal of the products served. MSG can cause varying reactions in the body, and is suspected to interfere with sleeping.